Tuesday, June 22, 2010

100th Post and CrossFit!

Wow. Really? I can't believe I've written 100 posts when my teachers couldn't make me write a one-page essay in high school. Whatever.

I just have to tell you what I've been up to. I've been working it, baby. Working it hard. For starters, I started back to some spin classes, and I'm readdicted badly. I started going to classes at a local bike shop instead of at the gym, and I can tell the biggest difference in the intensity of the class. Also, most of the fellow spinners are on local tri and/or bike teams, and I feel like the class is really geared (no pun intended) to "real" athletes. Does that sound mean to say it like that?

Secondly, I started doing CrossFit. My cousin is a personal trainer and a CrossFit instructor. Holy hell. I went for the first time last week, and I've never hurt so badly. At the same time, I've never felt like such a badass. I started with a "fit test" to see what level I am at. While being timed, I rowed 400 meters, did 15 squats, 15 pushups, 15 pullups (assisted using huge rubber bands to put your feet in), 12 squats, 12 pushups, 12 pullups, 9 squats, 9 pushups, 9 pullups, and then finishing rowing another 400 meters. I know it seems like it's not that tough, but do it timed with no breaks. Needless to say, I finished in about 9 minutes when other girls there can do it in 6, and I almost puked my guts out. My ass was so kicked after that I missed my turn twice on my way home, I couldn't lift my arm to turn my blinker on one time, and I asked Wesley to brush my teeth later that night. We went out to lunch for Father's Day Sunday, and I asked Wesley to cut my steak up. (He didn't. He told me to suck it up. Ha!) You only do the fit test once a month, and the top 5 times and your name go up on a board. I want my name up there in 2 or 3 months.

I'm going again tonight, and my cousin is gonna work with me doing sprints, long runs, drills, and exercises that will help me become a better swimmer, biker, and runner and to help me make sure I work out the muscles that I'm not exactly focusing on while swimming, biking, and running. I'm anxious to see my body change and to see my times get better. I'll keep everyone updated with regular reports.

This week looks like this:
  • Sunday -- Bike
  • Monday -- Off
  • Tuesday -- Crossfit, Run
  • Wednesday -- Spin
  • Thursday -- Run
  • Friday -- Crossfit, swim
  • Saturday -- Short swim

Next week's schedule will be more along the lines of my triathlon training schedule, and I will post that later this week.

Question of the day: When you reach small goals you have set for yourself, what kind of things do you reward yourself with? Workout apparel, equipment, spa treatments, etc?

No comments: