Friday, December 4, 2009

One More Week of Rehab for Dad!!!

Dad only has one more week of rehab in Atlanta! He will be coming home to Athens on December 10th. I cannot believe that on December 8, it will be 3 months since he had his heart attack. I also can't believe he had to have 3 months of rehab. I would have never guessed anyone would have to go through that for a heart attack, a stroke maybe, but a heart attack? Wow.

Once he gets back to Athens, he will continue rehab daily here, but at least he and mom will get to live at home again. It has been a long road and it will continue to be a long road, but it will hopefully get easier. He's doing really well, but he still doesn't have any short-term memory and he has problems with balance. He will never be able to work again or drive again, but that will be okay. It's heartbreaking sometimes to think that he may never make new memories again, but I'm just so thankful he is alive. I don't know what I would do without him. There is not a day that goes by that I thank God for my family.

On Monday, November 23rd, dad went to visit his work for the first time since his heart attack. It was pretty emotional because he hadn't seen all of the 5 guys together that gave him cpr and saved his life.
Dad visiting with some of his coworkers.
Dad and most of the Duplicating Systems crew. (If it isn't obvious enough, dad is the tall man in front with the cane.)
Dad and the 5 guys that saved his life.

Pretty cool, huh?

I'll tell ya another thing I'm thankful for -- it's Friday. I have felt like ass all week, but I'm feeling a little better today. Here's my agenda for this weekend:

Today:
  • workout
  • cook stew for my lunches next week
  • bake muffins
  • clean house
  • pack for Atlanta
  • bubble bath
  • Amanda's house

Saturday and Sunday I will be in Atlanta visiting mom and dad. We are going to do some Christmas shopping tomorrow, so that will be fun. The Shepherd Center, which is obviously state of the art, so you can imagine what their gym looks like, and family of the patients get to use it! We are actually encouraged to use it. I'm taking my workout clothes so I can get in a good run on the treadmill or workout on the spin bike.

Have a fabulous weekend!

No comments: