Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gestational Diabetes

Just when I thought everything was going smoothly, I found out last Tuesday that I have gestational diabetes. Luckily I am 28 weeks along (holy crap, time is flying!), so I don't have to deal with this too long. Actually, I say that, but it's not really that bad. In fact, I don't think I've ever eaten this healthy.

I usually eat pretty healthy, but now I'm forced to be very strict. Absolutely no sugar and 2-4 good carbs a day. I've been eating this way for a week now, and I feel great!!! The only thing I'm struggling with is the splenda in my coffee. I am all about some real sugar. I have my one cup of coffee a day, and I like it to be the way I want it, dammit. That and the fact I really wanted a piece of chocolate cake while celebrating Christmas with Wesley's dad Saturday night...but I survived...barely.

I've only been going on what OB Coordinator told me I can and can't eat or drink, because they weren't able to fit me in with the diabetes person immediately. However, my appointment is today, and I am freaking out! I'm not freaking out over the diet he or she is gonna to give me or the rules or anything. What I'm freaking out about is the stupid blood sugar testing machine thingy they are gonna give me. You don't understand...I have two tattoos, I don't mind shots, and I don't mind having my blood drawn, BUT I HATE that stupid machine they use at the doctor to prick your finger, and now I have to do it TWICE a day to MYSELF!!! Ahhhh! I think it's the anticipation of the click that gets to me. Does anyone understand me out there? I think I'll post a second time today to let you know how it all goes...if I don't pass out first.

I've been thinking that I'm going to continue eating this way after Wes comes. I mean, I should be really concious of my health since my dad has diabetes, and they say that's the main reason he had a heartattack last year. This whole gestational diabetes just might be the wake up call I needed. If I can just get through the holidays without my sugary flavored coffee creamer (Peppermint Mocha is my favorite), I think we will all be okay. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how did it go?

My dad has diabetes, too. Yikes! Scary stuff, isn't it?

Pattie said...

You can do it!