Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Big" Update

I've got to start blogging regularly again. I love blogging, but I've been so busy lately getting home improvement projects done! Poor Wesley...I've been working him like crazy!
It all started with the kitchen ceiling fan. I noticed one day how freaking ugly it was. It was white and brass and probably had been there since the house was built in the early 90's. Then I noticed how much I hated the kitchen curtain rods. Then I noticed how much I really, really hated all the brass door knobs throughout our house. The list of things I hated kept growing! We've been in our house for five years, and those things have never really bothered me until now! I asked Wesley if it would be okay if we asked for Lowes gift cards for Christmas so we could take care of all these things before the baby comes, and he said sure! We got $665 worth of gift cards to Lowes, and two days after Christmas, we spent $640 there. We got everything we needed to fix the things that were driving me crazy, but we will still have a few more things to replace to really be finished (outside light fixtures, hall light fixtures, and office light fixture).

Luckily, I was off work the week after Christmas, so Wesley and I were able to get a lot done. The only room we have left is the nursery, which we will be working on this week. Here's a list of things we did last week (side note: this list will probably make me look like our house was messy to start with, but actually I'm a complete neat freak. I'm just more of one now!):

  • Replaced kitchen ceiling fan with a new kitchen light. This is the one we got.
  • Replaced kitchen curtain rods.
  • Replaced kitchen curtains.
  • Cleaned out laundry room.
  • Cleaned out linen closet.
  • Cleaned out office/spare bedroom and made it look like a real office/spare bedroom.
  • Replaced all brass doorknobs throughout house with beautiful silver ones.
  • Cleaned out closet and donated bags of stuff to Good Will.
  • Replaced master bathroom hardware. We had ugly brass towel holders and toilet paper holder, so we replaced them with silver ones.
  • Took down Christmas decorations and packed them up in a very organized fashion. Go us!
  • Cleaned out kitchen drawers.
  • Hung shelves in office/spare bedroom.
  • Folded/hung up all clothes (you have to understand that I HATE folding/hanging clothes, so I always procrastinate, and there are always a few loads to be folded/hung up).
  • Cleaned up backyard.
  • Organized garage a little more.

Here's a list of things to still be done:

  • Replace nursery curtain rod.
  • Replace nursery light/ceiling fan dimmer switch.
  • Hang shelves in nursery.
  • Wash inside of frig.
  • Wash baby clothes and put in closet or dresser.
  • Wash baby bedding and put it on the crib.
  • Make meals to freeze.

I'm telling you, I'm sure Wesley was so happy for me to finally come back to work today, bless his heart. I'm sure he is exhausted. I thought women were insane when they talked about nesting, but holy hell, I'm being ridiculous with all the cleaning and organizing!

Okay, now for the gestational diabetes and baby update -- Baby Wes is huge. We are not sure if it's because of the gestational diabetes or not, but regardless...he is b-i-g.

So I went to the diabetes specialist two weeks ago, and she gave me a quick diabetes training, and she gave me the blood sugar monitor. That was the part I was fearing. Thank God the one she gave me is soooo much better than the one they use at the doctor. I picked out the mini ultra monitor in pink. You can barely hear the click or feel the prick of the needle! Whoo hoo!

I am supposed to check my blood sugar every morning first thing before I eat anything. That number needs to be 90 or below. I am then supposed to pick any meal during the day to check my blood sugar two hours after, and that number needs to be 120 or below. I thought things were going great the first week. My blood sugar two hours after a meal always was below 120, but I did see that my fasting blood sugar in the mornings was still always over 100. On December 28th I went in for my 4 week check up, and my doctor was less than happy that my morning readings were so high. He immediately put me on medicine. He also measured my belly, and I measured 32 weeks! I was only 29! He rushed me in for an ultrasound two days later to check fetal growth. Oh my God. I was 29 weeks and 2 days, and Wes was measuring 32 weeks and 6 days -- almost 4 weeks bigger. He was supposed to be around 2.5 lbs, and he was measuring 4.5 lbs. We have a big baby on our hands. :-)

I have an appointment this Thursday to go over the ultrasound results, and my doctor will probably be concerned. To make matters worse, the medicine isn't really helping my blood sugar levels, so they will probably up my dose. I hope I can get my levels under control quickly. I am just concerned that the baby will get too big, and I will have to have a c-section. I know that the only thing that matters is that the baby is healthy, but I really, really want a natural childbirth.

The exciting thing is that I'm about to start having baby showers! I have 3 planned that I know of, and I think my small group wants to do something for us as a couple, so that will be fun!

My goal this week is to workout daily (bike or slow job on treadmill), take belly pictures, and finish decorating nursery! I promise to post pics soon of me and nursery. I will leave you with these cute 4D photos! I think he looks like my husband Wesley.

Isn't Wes a cutie pie? I can't wait to kiss those cheeks!

We caught him yawning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is freaky! He looks so...done, basically! Haha. What is 4D? I know what 3D is, but I've never heard of 4D. I'm confused.

I'm also confused about your blood sugar numbers. My dad is diabetic, and he has to keep his between 4 and 7 (I think--I know it's no more than 7). Is that just different measurement units between the US and Canada (like Imperial vs. Metric)?

Nice light! We want to get a new one for over our front entrance, but we're scared to get the ones with lights pointing up because of the cleaning issue (it's really high up!).

Pattie said...

I feel like such a loser next to your list of completed things. My list was in no way as long and I didn't manage to get 1/2 of it done. Boo me!