Thursday, February 3, 2011

Overnight Oats

Overnight Oats, where have you been all my life? I'm in love with you! I need you every day!

Like I mentioned in my last post, I've never been an oatmeal person. I'm now certain that is because I've only had instant packs of oatmeal. (GASP! I know!) Since I'm started following lots of athletes' and/or health nuts' blogs, I've been seeing lots of stuff about overnight oats. At first I was like, "Eeewww! Gross! Totally not for me!" But then the pictures of the oats started looking more and more delicious, and I finally decided I've got to try this for myself. Last night we had to go grocery shopping, so I figured it was a perfect time to pick up the ingredients to whip up my first batch. I actually woke up excited this morning to try it, and I was hooked my first bite. I'm mad at myself for not trying this sooner! Here's the recipe I whipped up:

  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk, unsweetened
  • 1 packet splenda
  • 5-7 cherries, chopped
  • 1/4 banana, sliced
  • 1 tbsp. peanut butter

I added the last three ingredients at the very last second. OMG. I wish I could eat 5 of these in one sitting! I would have used more banana and stuff, but I have to keep things within my carb limit because of the gestational diabetes.

What is your favorite overnight oats recipe?

1 comment:

Pattie said...

So you soak the oats and the "milk" overnight?