Wednesday, September 22, 2010

People and Their Opinions

I'm having a wonderful week other than people annoying the shit outta me. I am so sick of people giving me advice and telling me what to do! Everyone has their own opinions, and sometimes I wish people would keep theirs to themselves. Here are some examples:
  • I made the mistake of posting on facebook that I was going to get a massage (this was back in July). This girl that has never been pregnant sent me a two paragraph email stating how I was harming the baby and how selfish I was being. Um...pregnancy massages are GOOD for you! Did she think I was going to have a deep tissue massage on my abdomen?
  • I made another mistake posting on facebook that I had just done some squats. My friend sent me a long email telling me how awful that was. It puts too much strain on the uterine walls. Also, jogging is bad because it could make the placenta and stuff detach from the uterus. What did I do? I talked to my doctor. He said not only was that silly, but it was impossible.
  • If I mention to anyone that I'm going jogging or to a spin class, I get lots of, "Oh no! Don't do that!" Or, "That is so harmful!" WHAT??? Are kidding me??? Those who exercise during pregancy are helping themselves and their baby so much!
  • I made another mistake of telling people (yet again on facebook, ugh) that I was eating boiled peanuts. You can only imagine the emails I got about nutrition.
  • Don't get me started on caffeine.

I really, really appreciate anyone's advice. I really do. However, I just wish they went about it in a different way. For instance, they could say, "You know, peanuts are wonderful for you. Just make sure you don't over do it on the sodium." Not this way, "OMG! You are eating boiled peanuts?! Do you have ANY clue how much sodium is in those???"

Not that I'm doing venting, I'm going to go pour myself a big glass of "no sugar added, no sodium, calorie-free" water.

3 comments:

kristen said...

:( I'm sorry girl. I had a girlfreind who just had a baby and she had the same frustrations. I comes with the territory I suppose. I like to hear women share thier preganacy storeis, but even I get annoyed when they start preaching. PARTICULARLY the ones who have NEVER HAD CHILDREN. What's that all about?!

Your an athlete. That wont change! Preggo or not! Keep it up girl!

p.s. I'm exctied to find out if it's a he or a she :)

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Don't you know that too much water can mess up your electrolyte balance and kill you!?

Haha, just kidding! Some people must live very anxious lives, worrying about every boogeyman that they read about on the internet. And I'm saying that as someone with an anxiety disorder.

How did you respond? I would have told them to get their facts straight, or posted an article about how what they were saying isn't true. Snopes is a good resource for a lot of the panicky lies out there, but I'm not sure how much pregnancy stuff there is. I bet there's a website dedicated to debunking just the kind of thing you're talking about, though (pregnancy related misconceptions).

kristi said...

OMG...I have a friend who bought one diet coke and a stranger told her how bad it was for the baby. She has one diet drink a day but this complete stranger had to tell her how harmful it was...ugh.