Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Emotional Breakdown and "One-Upers"


Remember my rant yesterday? Well, I was so wound up yesterday that I was on the verge of tears all day. After I put Wes to bed last night, I rode my spin bike in the garage, cooked dinner and lunches for the week, and then sat down to watch "Extreme Makeover Home Edition." That is when I lost it. They guy on the show that was losing weight reminded me of my dad (aside from the fact my dad was nowhere near this guy's size and my dad isn't black). Anyway, the guy's compassionate and funny personality reminded me of my dad, and I just started boo-hooing.  I kept thinking, “If dad would have just lost weight and controlled his diabetes better, he wouldn’t have had a heart attack.”  I am so thankful that dad is still with us, but I miss the old dad.  I miss the daily phone calls, the surprise visits at my home to see if we need our grass cut, and the long conversations on my parents’ back porch.  I miss his jolly, happy self.  I cried and cried and cried last night.  It’s been almost three years since that horrible day, but I still have a very hard time dealing with the situation emotionally. 

 I am so thankful that Wes knows my dad how he is today (my dad sometimes slurs his speech and has a hard time talking, his coordination is off, and he has no short-term memory) and that Wes has never known any different side of dad, though.  Wes loooooves my dad, and I think Wes understands my dad better than I do sometimes.  I believe that if Wes would have known my dad before the heart attack, he might be a little scared of him.  That being said, I am grateful.
 
Moving on and totally changing subjects.  What is up with people who constantly “one up” you?  That is probably one of my top five pet peeves.  Some people can just let little annoyances like this go, but it really gets under my skin.  I have this person in my life now that is constantly correcting me in front of others and one upping me.  I am having a hard time finding a tactful way to tell this person to eff off.  Any suggestions?  :-)

 

1 comment:

kristi said...

That guy was awesome! I have always said I am sexy just like him...lol!