Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Favorite Stew

Do you have a favorite soup or stew that just makes you feel warm and fuzzy just thinking about it?  I sure do.  I found a recipe for Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Stew (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Shrimp-and-Sausage-Stew-3079) on epicurious a few years ago, and I fell in love with it, especially after adding a hunk of cornbread in my bowl with it.   

Over the years, I've made some changes to make it quicker to prepare, and I'll usually make a huge batch on the weekend to have for lunches the following week.  I usually now just add spicy sausage, throw in some canned crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth until it's how I like it, and then I add whatever veggies I have in the frig and/or freezer.  I definitely add a bag of frozen cut okra and a bag of frozen lima beans and let them thaw in the hot liquid.  Instead of cornbread now, I put about 1/4 cup of whole wheat couscous in my bowl.  The couscous has the same texture of crumpled up cornbread.  Mmmmmm....sssooooo good, low carb, and cheap!

Here's the pot I made last week:


No comments: