Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Few Pics of the Fam

Dad was moved to the Shepherd Center yesterday! It was about an hour and a half drive, and mom said he did great. Yesterday was three weeks since his heartattack, and he han't left the hospital since then. Mom said he loved getting some fresh air.
Shepherd is amazing. I've haven't seen it yet, but I've looked at it online. Mom said it is soooo huge and awesome. Wesley and I are going there tonight, so I will have an update tomorrow. You know who else went to Shepherd? Christopher Reeves! Superman! Even though dad had a heartattack, he is being treated as a brain injury patient -- that's why he's at Shepherd.
Here are a few pics... (not the best quality, but whatever)

Dad and I at my wedding rehearsal dinner.

Mom and Dad at my rehearsal dinner.

Mom and my brother Stan at my rehearsal dinner. (He's 6'4". I'm 5'2". wtf?)

A week after dad's heartattack. All he did was sleep.

Two weeks after his heartattack! He stood up twice!

Almost three weeks after his heartattack! He walked!!!

Mom and dad this past Sunday.

Mom sent me this pic yesterday. This is his new semi-private room at Shepherd! It's huge!

My favorite -- Mom just sent this to me. This was taken this morning. He's looking more like himself! Praise God!


Mom said in the middle of the night last night, he got up out of his bed and walked down the hallway fast! He was so confused and didn't know where he was, but he will get used to it! The miracle is that he walked without a walker! And he walked fast the nurses said! Whoo hoo! They are going to put an alarm on him until he isn't confused anymore. :-)

Thanks for all the support and the advice on quitting smoking. Question -- what was your final thing that pushed you to quit?

2 comments:

kristen said...

Getting sick for the millionth time! I was planning on quitting *again* in like two weeks and then I got sick and couldn't smoke for a couple of days and so I just said f-it. I'll just quit now. Started running (and hawking up serious tar loogies) for a while, but then I liked it.

That's so cute and funny your dad just took off in the middle of the night. All the nurses were probably like wtf?

Yay for a fast recovery!

Kari@Onederland said...

What was my final thing that pushed me to quit?
when after being with my husband for almost 7 years he said to me for the first time EVER with tears in his eyes that he was scared he was going to lose me early to cancer because of my smoking. He had NEVER said anything about my smoking prior to then. It broke my heart to think that the man I want to spend the rest of my life with might not get the chance to spend the rest of his with me because I was chosing to do something so damaging to my health.

I never felt so thankful about my decision to quit smoking until 2 months later when my uncle whom I was VERY close with was diagnosed with cancer.

6 months later when I walked out the door of my parents house to go to his funeral I stopped for one moment to look at an ashtray that sat on their deck (my sister & brother in-law smoke) and it was on that morning that I had no doubts that I would never be a smoker again. I just couldn't ever go back to that.

I've lost 5 family members to cancer and I don't want my poor choices to be a contributing factor to "the odds".

and it's true. what kristen says. if your husband does smoke he HAS to quit with you. and if you doesn't. then poor him. because as someone who never thought I smelt like cigarettes I now smell others that smoke and it makes me cringe. the smell repulses me. and to think that is how I smelt. disgusting.

I won't lie. there have been a couple times that I have been stressed to the absolute max about everything in life.... but I'm learning that the more we learn how to deal with our thoughts and emotions, replace the need with something positive, and productive it will continue to get easier!!!

you can do it.

I'm happy to hear that your father has moved to the new location and that everything seems to be going well there. Crazy that he got up in the middle of the night and just started walking. Sounds like one tough cookie that won't let anything hold him back.

Hugs. Hang in there.