Actually, I do know. I was chicken. I was terrified of not finishing. I was scared of making an ass of myself infront of specators. I was worried I would drown. Blah, blah, blah. It honestly took me having a child to get over my fears and my self-consciousness. I remember thinking two weekends ago right before I signed up for it (yes, I signed up for the tri ONE week before the event, which meant I only trained for one week! Am I stupid? Maybe.), "Heck, I just carried a baby for 9 months, I just labored naturally. I am juggling a career and workouts all while keeping a clean house and my family happy, so why can't I get out there with the other athletes and swim 1/4 a mile, bike 12, and run 3? If I do look like an ass, I know I have a hot husband cheering me on from the sideline and the cutest baby waiting for me at home to snuggle with him, so who cares what time I cross that finish line, just as long as I cross it!"
I agree it is sad that my self-esteem has kept me from doing lots of things in the past, and I am determined to keep working on that. That being said, I am amazed at how a little baby that isn't quite three months old has changed my life so much already. Here are just a few ways my precious baby has changed me for the better:
- I now look forward to waking up early to snuggle with Wes on Saturday and Sunday mornings instead of sleeping late b/c of partying the night before.
- Wes' 8:30 p.m. bath time is one of the favorite parts of my day.
- Instead of dwelling on my physical flaws, I look in Wes' eyes and know that he loves me just the way I am and wouldn't change a thing about how my face or body looks.
- My relationship with Wesley is stronger now than I could even imagine.
- When I start doubting that I can do something, I think about all I've been through with my pregnancy and labor, and I now know that I can accomplish about anything physically and mentally.
- I'd much rather curl up on the couch on a Friday night with Wes on my shoulder and Wesley by my side than be out partying with my friends. (Don't get me wrong! I still love to party!)
- Looking at pics of Wes on my phone during the day can get me through a crappy day at work.
- When Wesley is holding Wes and talking to him in a silly voice, I fall in love with him all over again.
- I am actually kind of patient now!
- The small things like grabbing a cup of coffee from the Starbuck's drive-thru and then just riding along county roads with Wesley and Wes on a weekend afternoon is better than a night out at a fancy restaurant.
- I say I'm going to do something, and now I actually do it and not care about what others think.
P.S. I am working on a full race report!

2 comments:
This is my favorite post of yours. Ever.
As a friend that has only known you for a short time, really, I want you to know that your transformation into a mother has blown me away because of how easy and natural it has seemed. You have come into your own as a person and you are an inspiration!
Post a Comment