Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Trail Running

Oh how I love trail running. There is something so amazing about it. I love the way I feel as I'm jumping over tree roots, rocks, streams of water, etc. I feel different when I'm running on a trail as opposed to running on a track, treadmill, road, or whatever.

I've always been obsessed with the outdoors. While growing up, you could always find me outside in a pink dress with my pellet gun shooting birds or squirrels, jumping in the mud, climbing trees, riding a dirt bike or 4-wheeler, jumping in water puddles, catching bugs (I LOVE lightening bugs), fishing, or hunting. Don't get me wrong -- I still had my pink Tinkerbell lipstick on while doing these things.

Yep, I was definitely a tomboy. In fact, at family functions, I always prefer (still to this day) to hang out with my male relatives playing football or softball than sit around with the girls and gossip. When I host cookouts, I'm downing beers with the guys around the grill instead of sitting in lawnchairs in the shade with the girls. I used to always fear that Wesley would feel like I'm intruding on his space when I want to go do "guy things" with him, but actually he loves it. He loves knowing that I would rather go fishing any day than go shopping at the mall. He loves knowing that he doesn't have to split up his time with me and the guys, we can just all hang out together. Don't worry, he still gets his "guy time," though.

Anyway, I think that's why I love trail running. I love getting dirty. I love feeling like a kid again when I'm bouncing around on the trails. I love being out in nature and running along the river or through rose gardens. It takes me back to my childhood when I would just run through the woods for no real reason.

What exercise makes you feel as happy as trail running makes me?

2 comments:

Kari@Onederland said...

Love it.

For me there are a couple exercises that make me feel happy. in different ways. I LOVE hot yoga, and how peaceful and happy it makes me feel but I LOVE LOVE biking. It makes me feel happy and youthful. I used to bike for hours on end when I was younger. No real destination, just jump on it and ride on a beautiful day.

and can I just say every time you share a bit more about yourself....the more I realize how much we really are alike.

kristen said...

Girl, you took the words right out of my mouth. We would have been best freinds growing up :)

I also love mtbing. For all the same reasons as trail running!