Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Being a Firefighter's Wife

Yesterday was a rough day. Some days are awesome, some are shitty. Some days I'm actually happy to have some alone time. I'm able to catch up on my tv shows and cook whenever I want to. Other days are sad.

I knew when Wesley asked me to marry him that he was going to be a firefighter until he reaches retirement age. I guess I was so inlove that I didn't think of how it would affect me the rest of my life. It sucks. Every third day he is gone for 24 hours, and then he is off work for 48 hours. I guess I do have the best of both worlds. I have a husband that I know will be home for two days in a row. Then I have a day to myself. I have friends whose husbands are gone for weeks at a time on business trips, so I feel bad for complaining at all. What gets to me are the holidays and birthdays and anniversaries he is going to miss. Another thing that sucks is if he works on a Saturday, that means on Friday night he will be in bed around 10:00 p.m. Ugh. Those weekends are screwed.

On the other hand, when I do go to parties or other events by myself while Wesley is gone, it makes me proud to say, "Yeah, Wesley is at the firestation today." I'm proud to say that I'm a firefighter's wife most of the time. Other days I just wanna cry because the firestation gets my husband every third day. This year he works on Christmas day, which I like better than him working on Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year, and he has worked on it for the past two years (leap year causes this).

What about when we have kids? Every third that I'm going to be a single parent. He will miss out on so much of our childrens lives. Ballgames, parties, etc.
Why am I such a pessimist? Why don't I use those "every third days" to workout for a couple of hours? Or cook for the week? I need a change of attitude.

I think it takes a special person to be a firefighter, and I think it takes a special person to be a firefighter's wife. I do have to admit that firefighters are super sexy. I keep telling myself that over and over to make myself forget that I'm sometimes lonely. :-)

Wesley and a couple of firefighters (Wesley on far right)
doing the Captain Morgan pose -- stupid, I know.

2 comments:

Kari@Onederland said...

I can't imagine that it's easy. Some days obviously would be harder than others. And while some of your friends husbands may be gone for longer periods it doesn't make it any easier for the time that you do have to spend away from your husband long or short. You are right...it does take someone special to be a firefighter, and someone special to be a firefighters wife! Thank you for sacrificing what others of us often take for granted!!

kristen said...

My husband is gone for
75 DAYS at a time. It's brutal. I would kill for your hubbs' schedule.

I like that your recognizing you need a change of attitude. Use that thrid day to do stuff you can't do without him. Like you said, work out for a couple of hours or eat foods that he would never eat but you like. Or go out with girlfreinds.

Just remember somebody always has it worse. I couldn't imagine being a miliatry wife and having my husband gone for a year or longer. That's horrible.

Sounds like we are both very lucky women.